In the year 2020-21, DMEO drafted a comprehensive organizational strategy to identify key outcomes and activities required for enabling evidence-based decision-making in the country. One of the three overarching outcomes was to support in strengthening of the M&E ecosystem across central ministries/departments and states. To achieve this mandate, DMEO has undertaken several initiatives including workshops and learning sessions with sector and thematic experts, national and state-level conferences, and fostering partnerships with expert national and international research/academic/evaluation organizations.
To further institutionalize the capacity building efforts across central ministries and states, DMEO has drafted a dedicated curriculum and competency framework on M&E for government officers. Both the components are interlinked, with the curriculum designed to target and cater to the specific skilling needs identified in the competency framework. Once finalized, the curriculum and competency framework will be institutionalized through capacity building initiatives through Central and State Administrative Training Institutes (CTIs/ATIs), online and classroom learning sessions, and Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) through the iGOT-Mission Karmayogi platform, etc.
The M&E Competencies are as follows:
1. Develops and achieves buy-in for M&E withing organization.
2. Promotes a better understanding for self, the staff, and organization, on M&E products and their uses.
3. Creates the conditions for M&E staff to feel empowered.
4. Adapts M&E planning and products to emerging situations.
5. Maintains collaborative working relationships with partners and stakeholders.
7. Integrates M&E planning with implementation processes of MDOs.
8. Able to identify and explain technically appropriate and relevant design for M&E.
9. Can clearly articulate the programme theory and its underlying assumptions.
10. Assesses validity and reliability of data and evidence.
11. Articulates M&E information to stakeholders in a manner that is clear, concise, and easy to understand.